Friday, November 11, 2011

OOTK Profile | Nicole Morgan of Nicole's Cupcakes

We met Nicole Morgan through a friend at work who was bringing in vegan cupcakes made by her 15-year-old daughter. She made every variety you can imagine. Not only did they look amazing, but they tasted just as great. And because they were vegan, folks who enjoyed these wonderful treats also knew that what they were eating had no animal by-products in the mix.

As self-branded foodies, we’ve had our share of cupcakes. But Nicole’s Cupcakes resonates with us because of her passion for what she creates and how she, at just 15-years-old, goes about picking her ingredients. A
ll local and as much as possible, organic.

As an aspiring cook and entrepreneur, Nicole is learning how to find her niche in the food world and getting her footing in an industry that she may or may not go into when she gets older. For now, she is a high-school student who enjoys tooling around in the kitchen, creating wonderful flavor combinations for her cupcakes, and creating a business she can call her own.

The following recounts a recent interview we had with Nicole this past summer.





OOTK: So why vegan cupcakes?

Nicole: I chose to make vegan cupcakes mostly because I'm vegan. I also firmly believe that consumption of food products derived from animals such as milk, eggs, cheese, etc., are harmful to yourself, the environment, and animals. I want a chance to show people that making decisions that benefit everyone can be delicious. You don't have to feel like you're missing out on anything. I decided to start specializing in cupcakes because I love how each cupcake can have its own identity.

They're fun to make and people love to eat them!

OOTK: How old were you when you started baking?
Nicole: I can’t remember a time when I wasn't in the kitchen! From the time I was old enough to walk, I would help my grandma pour the sugar for brownies or mix in the hot water for Jell-O with my stepmom.

OOTK: How do your parents feel about your cupcake business? They seem very supportive.
Nicole: My parents have been a huge help with starting up this business.
They've been very supportive in every way possible. Emotionally, physically, monetarily. You name it. They have been there for me every step of the way.

OOTK: Are you thinking about going to culinary school?
Nicole: Culinary school is not really something that has ever interested me. I think you can get all the knowledge you need from pure experience. In the long run, I may get a degree in business, or I may pursue my interest in the medical field.

OOTK: Where are you planning on going to school?
Nicole: I’m thinking about University of San Francisco. I’ve visited a couple times. I’m not sure what I’m majoring in yet, we’ll see. All I know is that, whatever I end up doing in my career, cooking and baking will always be something that I am passionate about.

OOTK: What is your favorite cupcake?
Nicole: I love the vanilla cupcakes topped with chocolate buttercream.
Despite the simplicity, the two flavors compliment each other perfectly.

OOTK: We’re fans of your Green Tea cupcake. What is your most popular cupcake?
Nicole: Cookies and Crème.




OOTK: What are your favorite restaurants around town?
Nicole: Thai Palace is my favorite restaurant by far. I love the tofu pangang and vegetable pad thai. Sugar Plum Vegan Cafe is my “go-to” restaurant if I'm looking for a good sandwich. Their Midtown Bacon Cheeseburger is to die for!

OOTK: How do people contact you if they want to purchase your cupcakes?
Nicole: People can reach me through my Facebook page or by sending an email, text, or simply calling me. Although I check my Facebook page and email every day, if you're looking for a quick reply, contacting me by phone would be the best.

OOTK: Thanks for time Nicole. It was a pleasure meeting you. We wish you luck wherever your future leads you.


Nicole’s Cupcakes
nicolescupcakes21@gmail.com

916.296.0157

No comments:

Post a Comment